On Tuesday, May 21, 2024, Residents of the Schodack Central School District will vote for three open seats on the Schodack Board of Education and a fourth vacant seat that is currently open. The three open seats are each for a 3-year term (July 1, 2024-June 30, 2027) and the fourth vacant seat is for an approximately 1-year term (May 21, 2024-June 30, 2025). The vacant seat will be filled by the candidate with the fourth-highest number of votes. Candidate names and a statement from each in their own words are below.

Voters will also decide whether to approve a proposed budget for the 2024-2025 School Year. See the district’s budget page for more information on the budget, where to vote and more.

Meet the Candidates Event

There will be a Meet the Candidates event on Thursday, May 9, 2024, during the board of education workshop/budget hearing starting at 6:00 PM.

2024 Board of Education Candidates

The names of the four candidates running for the board are listed below in the order they will appear on the ballot along with a statement from each of them.

Jennifer Rogowski

My husband and I purchased our first home in Schodack in 2009. We quickly realized that this wonderful community was where we wanted to raise our family! We have 2 children who attend Maple Hill Jr./Sr. High School and Castleton Elementary. I am a Special Education teacher for Questar III BOCES. I currently teach high school students but have experience teaching students from Pre-K through grade 12. I firmly believe in our public education system. I am running for a position on the Schodack CSD Board of Education to support the teachers, staff, students and community members of the Schodack Central School District.

Marion Spar

My husband, Andre, and I have six children: Haylee (14), Ayva (13), Dylan (11), Aubrey (10), Payton (7), and Nate (3). Our family is very active and involved in various activities and functions throughout the community. We love and appreciate giving and supporting in any capacity. We are a certified foster/adoptive family and I volunteer to coach several youth athletic teams. I have served on the Board of Education since 2021 and look forward to continuing my work as a dedicated member to serve our community. With a master’s degree from The College of Saint Rose, I hold a certification in School Psychology and have worked with students in grades Pre-K through 12. I am currently working for the local Justice Court. I am a very enthusiastic individual with a great sense of humor. I am a firm believer that life is what you make it. I love helping others and making every day a positive one! I feel that it is important not just to be actively involved for the sake of my children, but also to show and teach them that being an active and productive individual is what will guide them successfully through life. Education has such a great impact on all children in many ways and being a part of making that experience a positive and meaningful one is my goal. It is an honor to advocate for ALL our children and the community.

Kurt Maier

My wife Regina and I have lived in Schodack for 20+ years. We have two children; Makaila, who is a 2020 Maple Hill graduate, and currently in her master’s program at Suny Plattsburgh, and Ethan, who is a 2023 Maple Hill graduate, and currently in his bachelor’s program at UAlbany. After high school, I joined the Marine Corps, serving proudly until 1996. I am currently employed as a Cost of Care Director for Anthem, where I utilize my Lean Six Sigma and analytical skills to identify and deploy process improvements to achieve cost reductions. My experience as a community member includes volunteering in the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Kiwanis, VFW, the PTO, and various other community events. After many years of supporting our youth, I’ve gained a strong perspective of the district and what it has to offer our children and the community. As a Board member, I am committed to helping guide the district toward its vision of success through learning, planning, and hard work.

Tylea Gebbie

It has been a privilege to serve on the Schodack Central School District’s Board of Education since 2021. My husband and I made Schodack our home in 2012, drawn by its close-knit community and exceptional school system. We have three children, one enrolled at Castleton Elementary and two at Maple Hill Junior-Senior High School. I am a Nationally Certified School Psychologist who practices in a neighboring school district. As an educator, I value public education and believe strongly in a whole-child approach to education that prepares our students to become well-rounded and productive members of our society. I believe in fostering academic excellence, creating a positive school climate, ensuring school safety, providing robust mental health resources, offering enriching experiences in and out of the classroom, and fostering strong connections between families, schools, and communities. I hope to continue serving as an advocate for our students, teachers, families, and community members.